General

Nova Basic Kit - Battery Not Charging

userHead SpiderNZ 2014-04-04 09:54:12 4740 Views5 Replies
Hi, I'm having a problem with the Nova Basic Kit, the battery never seems to re-charge. Have by uploading a blank sketch and plugging in the Nova to a micro-USB power supply. despite being plugged in all night the battery never charges (ie. the charging LED (D2) stays on and the finished LED (D3) never ever comes on).

Have now gone through 3 Lipo Battery (3.7V) for Nova.

Is the Nova defective?
2017-03-02 13:45:09 Hi,

I bought two Nova Basic Kit, and the experience is good and bad for me.
GOOD EXPERIENCE:
I found out that the current from the USB port of my MACOSX is not enough to put the charger module of the Nova in good logic. Hence, I used a 5V cellphone charger to make the board charge the battery as expected.
If you plug Nova straight to your computer, you might see that the whitE LED tied to PIN 13 (if I'm not mistaken) is blinking as the preloaded blink sample is coded... but the D2-D3 light indicators are not doing as expected... like the RED light is steady even if the battery is not connected, or the switch is at OFF position (It should be green light ON, red light BLINKING).

BAD EXPERIENCE:
My second board is not doing well. If I use either the 5V charger, or connect Nova to the computer via USB, with the battery not connected to the board:
1. GREEN led is ON
2. RED led started with a slow blink, increase the blink frequency, then stays ON (or maybe at a higher frequency rate)... while the GREEN light stays ON for at least 2 to 4 more seconds.
3. GREEN led turns OFF after 4 seconds or so.

If battery is connected, and switch is in OFF position, same thing happens as of the above.
If battery is connected, and switch is in ON position, the GREEN led is OFF and RED led is ON (as expected) but the battery is not charged.

The way the red light is increasing the frequency of its blink, and the way it 'stores' this state when the 'power source' is disconnected/reconnected under 5 seconds, it seems that there is a leak somewhere (capacitor/memory) I guess.

I believe I have 1 working and 1 defective in my hand.
userHeadPic arnoldvillasanta
2016-11-02 21:05:42 Hi,

I have the same issue - what was the solution for Fixing it?

Regards,
Gerhard
userHeadPic gerhard
2014-08-07 17:41:29 Hey, how is the problem going?
Looks like after our share of emails all is good?
userHeadPic Jose
2014-04-12 05:42:43 >:( >:( >:(

So much for getting support from you guys!

>:( >:( >:( >:(

userHeadPic SpiderNZ
2014-04-04 10:02:00 Argh! Lipo Battery #3 is now dead - Nova must be defective  :(:(:(:(

Even without battery connected the D2 (charging LED) is on!
userHeadPic SpiderNZ