ArduinoGeneral

URM04 How dust, luminosity and vibration affect measurements?

userHead maria.noronha.costa 2019-09-04 20:27:54 2058 Views3 Replies
Hi!
I’m planning on using URM04 sensors to control an aircraft maintenance platform.
I would like to know how dust (for example when the aircraft is being painted), luminosity and vibrations affect measurements.

Thank you in advance!
2019-09-06 17:17:06 Hey Maria,
In this case I would suggest of ToF sensor (lasers), which can be found here: https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1599.html?search=TOF . However we have not tested such devices on a platform that mimics the vibrations found on a plane. You should try to isolate and stabilize your measurement platform as much as possible to avoid outside interference.
userHeadPic robert
2019-09-05 17:00:08 Thank you very much for your reply!
So, do you think optical sensors might have a better performance when subjected to vibrations?
userHeadPic maria.noronha.costa
2019-09-05 11:36:34 Hey Maria,
Unfortunately the URM04 sensor is not rated at any IP rating, therefore we do not the exact specifics of its ability to resist dust. Since it is an ultrasonic sensor luminosity will not have a significant affect on the measurements unless the light source is strong enough to erode the PCB board and connections (which is quite hard). However, strong vibrations will have an affect on your sensor. The sensor works based on sending out sonic waves (which is done through vibrating a diaphragm). Therefore I do not suggest you submitting it to strong vibrations on a consistent basis.
userHeadPic robert