ArduinoGeneral

Beetle ESP32 poor WiFi signal

userHead Account cancelled 2020-01-13 19:54:14 1538 Views1 Replies
I have a Beetle ESP32 Microcontroller (V1.0) -- SKU:DFR0575, which has very poor WiFi signal even when physically very close to the SSID router.
I have so far powered the Beetle with from USB _or_ with 3 x 1.5V AA battery pack. The Beetle only sees the 2 SSIDs that I have in the house, only if they are within 3 meters direct line of site. RSSI is -80. There are however dozens of WiFi networks in the neighborhood. The moment I go to approx 5 meters or more, the WiFi signal is so bad that the Beetle loses connection and cannot reconnect. The best RSSI ever is -73 if the Beetle is literally next to the WiFi router. Other that the WiFi being bad, the board is working fine and it is stable.
I also have a couple of FireBeetle ESP32 boards (v3.0) -- SKU:DFR0478 and their WiFi signal is much better on the same network with same connection parameters. RSSI -47. I saw on this forum topic FIREBEETLE INSUFFIIENT WI-FI TRANSMIT POWER (viewtopic.php?t=16941) -- that seemed to be a design/hardware issue.

What to do with the Beetle? Is this also a design issue? Software? Power issue? Anybody else experiencing this?

Thanks in advance!