General Gravity

Moisture sensor settling time

userHead leo 2016-05-19 22:17:18 2931 Views5 Replies
Hi all!

I'm using your capacitive Soil Moisture sensor (SKU: SEN0193) for prototypes I'm doing!

Do you know the settling time of the sensor ? I'm waiting 50ms between power supply of the sensor and analog reading, but to save energy, I'm looking for the shortest time to obtain correct value.

Thanks a lot!

Léo
2023-05-23 18:23:03

Waiting for 50ms between power supply to the sensor and analog reading may not be sufficient for the sensor to stabilize and provide accurate readings. 

userHeadPic bidrohini.bidrohini
2023-05-16 22:50:45

Hi

it does not concern with the settling time, but with adaptation time. From when I install the sensor in the soil, how much time is necessary to return a correct value? I suppose it depends on the type of soil and how much is saturated, but are there any way to speed up this process? I'm talking about true agricultural soils in which i cannot modify the concentration of soil in it. I can only start irrigation programs.

Thanks,

Giorgio

userHeadPic Giorcks
2016-05-20 18:11:58 Hi Léo,

Actually, this capacitive sensor has not been done test on the response time. But I guess it should be very quick, for these days I am using this Non-contact Liquid Level Switch, same working theory, it response to the liquid level change at once.

Maybe you could test it with the code below to see how long it takes before getting stable readings.

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600); // open serial port, set the baud rate as 9600 bps
}
void loop() {
  int val;
  val = analogRead(0); //connect sensor to Analog 0
  Serial.print(val); //print the value to serial port
  Serial.print( "       Time point:" );
  Serial.print(millis());
  Serial.print("\n");
}
userHeadPic Leff
2016-05-20 16:38:09 Hi!

I'm not looking how to change the time, but what is the time to wait before output stabilisation.

Thanks,

Léo
userHeadPic leo
2016-05-20 10:54:38 Hi

The sensor is transient. you cannot do nothing to change the time for obtaining correct value.
userHeadPic Wendy.Hu