ArduinoGeneral

ArduBlock

userHead adrian 2020-05-07 03:09:17 2686 Views5 Replies
I've just bought a Devastator Tank Platform, which is brilliant. We've only got as far as putting everything together, and still need to wire up the Pi and Motor Controller I was planning to test it with.

Given the P&P costs I was seduced at the checkout and added a Gravity Starter Kit which looked like a good way of getting my daughter interested in some coding, as the Ardublock interface looked a little like the Scratch one we've been playing with.

I've downloaded the Arduino IDE for macOS and have managed to control some of the LED modules using that. I've followed the instructions on the Ardublock website for running the Java module within Arduino and while I can get it to launch from the Tools menu, when I open one of the test projects and try to send it back to Arduino I just get the following error in the console:
Code: Select all
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: processing.app.Editor.setText(Ljava/lang/String;)V
	at com.ardublock.ArduBlockTool.didGenerate(ArduBlockTool.java:72)
	at com.ardublock.core.Context.didGenerate(Context.java:271)
	at com.ardublock.ui.listener.GenerateCodeButtonListener.actionPerformed(GenerateCodeButtonListener.java:171)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6539)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6304)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2239)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2297)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4904)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4535)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4476)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2283)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:84)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)
A quick look around and the project doesn't appear to be maintained anymore, but was hoping someone might have a solution or alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Adrian
2020-07-06 05:57:22 Thanks for your reply.

The Mind+ software does look promising. Hopefully, this is what will be advertised instead of the now obsolete ArduBlock software.
userHeadPic adrian
2020-06-25 05:21:00 The initial response seemed hopeful, but after over a month without a further reply I'm assuming help isn't at hand? To be fair, I've actually solved my own problem, although the solution isn't really acceptable and has left me somewhat disappointed with my first experience of buying from DFRobot.

To be honest, the Gravity starter kit was very much a spur of the moment purchase, as I'd visited the site to purchase a Devastator Robot Platform first and foremost. The delivery cost was pretty high, but included over $100 so I bumped up my order with this kit. I thought I might be able to use it with the robot build, and like the ArduBlock concept which looked similar to Scratch that I've been playing with my 7-year-old daughter.

The good - delivery was incredibly quick and I had the package (albeit with an unwelcome custom charge) just 5 days after ordering! The Devastator Robot Platform is excellent and we've got that up and running with a Raspberry Pi build. Had I just bought that I'd probably still be a happy customer!

The bad - the Gravity kit looks nice enough, but the ArduBlock add-in for Arduino doesn't work with the latest version of the IDE. In fact, it only works with versions before 1.6.6, which was released in November 2016! Almost 4 years ago! Trying to use this version creates problems with other devices and just isn't compatible with some of the latest libraries anymore, so I've given up with it and updated to 1.8.13.

My frustration is compounded every time I see the box, which has a nice Ardublock Kit sticker over the top, but I can't use it with Ardublock. It has sparked an interest in Arduino, and I've bought a few other kits and components, but I never dreamt of buying them from DFRobot, which is a shame.

It would be a good idea to let other customers know that this is no longer compatible with Arduino and not to advertise or sell kits offering this support?
userHeadPic adrian