ArduinoGeneral

Problem reading RS485 sensor with SKU:DFR0259 shield for Arduino

userHead haresfur 2020-05-07 09:39:40 2215 Views4 Replies
I am trying to read an RS485 sensor using the DFR Arduino shield and have not had success.

I tried to run the example programs from the Wiki page and could only get them to run with modifications.

Automatic mode:

The automatic mode program works as written if I have the transceiver mode switch in manual position, not the automatic position. In the automatic position, text I enter on the serial monitor causes an led to flash on the Arduino Uno but does not toggle the led on the shield and the shield does not send a reply.

Manual mode:

To make the manual mode demo program work I had to swap the setting of the enable pin. The program has the pin set to HIGH for the sending state and LOW for receiving. It only works for me if the pin is LOW for sending and HIGH for receiving. I have no idea why the program would not work as written unless there is something wrong with my board.

Could someone verify that the programs do work properly? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get the communication working.
2020-05-21 08:06:21 I just received a USB to RS485 converter for my computer and I can run the Automatic code example as it is written from hterm on my windows computer. Is it possible that the RS485 shield is only able to operate as a slave? I need my arduino to be the master on my RS485 network. How would I do that? Thank you. userHeadPic haresfur