Bluno General Arduino

Beetle BLE (DFR0339) Bluetooth Pairing

userHead doug.lim 2020-05-24 22:00:48 4488 Views5 Replies
Has anyone been able to reliably pair the Beetle BLE with an Android phone/device or Chromebook?

I have only ever been able to pair with an iPhone 8 (iOS 13.5) without any problem (after first setting appropriate values for MIN_INTERVAL and MAX_INTERVAL as described in the AT command reference). I am not prompted for a PIN when pairing with the iPhone. The Link and Pair LED indicators on the Beetle are lit.

When I try to pair with an Android phone or tablet (again, after setting the MIN_INTERVAL and MAX_INTERVAL to the recommended values for conecting to Android), one of two things happens:

1)
a) Tap on the Beetle bluetooth device name in the Android bluetooth available connections list.
b) Link LED indicator on the Beetle lights
c) A brief notification appears on the Android device about an invalid PIN and the Beetle bluetooth device name reappears
d) Tap on the Beetle bluetooth device name again. The Beetle bluetooth device name moves to the list of Paired devices and the Pair LED on the Beetle lights

or

2)
a) Tap on the Beetle bluetooth device name in the Android bluetooth available connections list.
b) Link LED indicator on the Beetle lights
c) A PIN entry pop-up appears on the Android device. Entering "0000" or "1234" - the suggested default PINs - the Beetle bluetooth device name returns to the Available devices list
c) The Link LED indicator turns off
2020-09-06 06:29:05 It's not compatible because they are different protocol standards and use different procedures. They could make beetle with classic bluetooth, but it would use more energy.

Most desktop and laptops do not have bluetooth low energy chips, they have classic bluetooth.
The beetle only has low energy bluetooth. Classic and ble are not compatible.

ble on bluno beetle is standard, only has a few characteristics (configurations) you can read and write and can be used on desktop machines/laptops if you have a bluetooth low energy usb dongle.
userHeadPic anonymous
2020-07-24 07:57:37 It would be compatible if you would make it so! But you won't userHeadPic info
2020-05-30 10:38:12 Ultimately, I want to be able to pair it standalone and use it in HID peripheral mode with a existing standard app that accepts keyboard input.

I have a Chromebook running Chrome OS 81.0.4044.141 is the device I'd prefer to have it pair with. The Chromebook does not even see the Beetle as an available bluetooth device. The Chromebook appears to support BLE based on checking with the BLE Checker android app.

I also have a Pixel 2 phone running Android 10 that I am only mainly trying to pair just to see which devices I can manage to pair with it. I seem to have inconsistent success pairing with the Pixel 2, but when I can get it paired, it seems to pair via the first set of steps in my original post.
userHeadPic doug.lim