ArduinoTroubleshooting

XSP Protocol Error

userHead AndrewMcKinnon 2022-05-04 23:39:11 288 Views2 Replies

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the Retro Chip Tester (http://8bit-museum.de) which comes with a ATmega2560 chip that needs to be programmed.  I bought the XSP Arduino Programmer and although at first I could not figure out the XSP.  I couldn't figure out how to even get the XSP in to ISP mode, however, I did figure it out so first checkmark.  I tried running the bat file supplied by the retro chip tester creator and was getting timeout errors.  Found this site and it's description for the XSP.  I was able to no longer get timeout errors but now I'm getting the follow:

avrdude.exe: stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x11

I contacted the RCT creator and he suggest that instead of using "-c stk500v1" to use "-c avrisp" but no change.  Same protocol error.  Here is the full command I'm trying to use from the RCT manual:

avrdude.exe -C "avrdude.conf" -v -p atmega2560 -c avrisp -P COM5 -U lfuse:r:-:i -U hfuse:r:-:i -U efuse:r:-:i

That command is suppose to check the fuses.  I've tried Google search but the few protocol error results I get are all dated as far back as 2004.  Anyway, since DFRobot is the only site I have found with actual details for the XSP, I figure this forum would be the best place in seeking help.

Thanks in advance and hope you all have a great day.

Andrew

2022-05-06 09:50:48

Thanks for sharing. 

userHeadPic R2D2C3PO
2022-05-06 06:31:23

SOLVED!

So I did some more research and came across a post that instructed the OP to update his Arduino Desktop to the latest version.  Since the developer of the Retro Chip Tester includes a copy of the avrdude.conf file, I figured I would try his script with the latest version of that conf file and voila, it worked.  Did not see any errors at all.

Hope this helps anyone else that have the same problem.

userHeadPic AndrewMcKinnon