General Easy IoT

CM4 IoT Router outdated bootloader doesn't work on new CM4s

userHead Alex.Oughton 2022-07-28 21:04:33 1988 Views9 Replies

Hello,

I'd like to highlight an issue with the current OpenWRT image being provided here for use with the IoT Router Carrier Board. There has been a hardware revision to the Raspberry Pi Compute Modules, and so any recently-manufactured board will not boot the image. Instead of booting, the green LED will flash 4 times slowly and 4 times quickly, which indicates “Unsupported Board Type”.

The fix I have been able to apply is to copy the DAT and ELF files from the boot partition of a newer image to the boot partition of this image. These files are compatible with the newer board revision, and booting is therefore successful. I didn't find it necessary to update the Kernel itself, and I didn't need to update any other OpenWRT components.

I'm highlighting this as new customers (like me) will likely find that the image just doesn't work, and without some troubleshooting effort it won't be clear why or what to do about it. I'm hoping an updated image can be provided with these newer files included so that others don't experience the same problems. The new bootloader will still work with older Compute Modules, so this won't introduce any compatibility concerns.

Thanks,

Alex Oughton

2022-12-29 21:31:59

Why would the host OS make any difference to the bootloader?

https://www.surveyzop.com/ 

userHeadPic luke.martin1785
2022-12-26 20:07:18

64 bit OS runs very well on my CM4, but reboot is not working as expected. When I enter commands like "reboot", "shutdown -r", etc the system shuts down and does not come up again. I have to disconnect power supply an re-connect it.

userHeadPic luke.martin1785
2022-12-07 23:22:06

Would anyone be able to assist me with a working version with the updated DAT and ELF files? I've tried to get the files and update them myself but I can't seem to get past the permissions problem of updating image files.

userHeadPic Helder.Goncalves
2022-09-22 19:56:26

A formation of the gathering is encouraged by the senior members of the field. The compound of the [url=https://www.audacix.com/p/penetration-testing-services.html]pen testing services[/url]

is ensured for the challenges. The passage is filed for the host of the chunks for the citizens alongside difference of the opinion.

userHeadPic WilliamQuintanilla
2022-08-11 22:40:52

I am also having problems with the images supplied by dfrobot.  My board with a recently purchased CM module works fine if i load raspberry pi OS on it.  it boots and both network interfaces along with the wifi all seem to work fine.  

when i try the dfrobot openwrt images, it looks as if it boots, and eth0 works  – i get both a yellow link light and green traffic lights – but eth1 does not show any lights.  that's what i need to connect to to get to the admin panel or ssh.   when i plug eth0 into my network, it looks like something is going on, but i can't find its ip address so not sure if it is using dhcp or some hard coded ip address.  my guess is that the driver for the eth1 interface was not loaded.

i will try the official openwrt images next to see…

userHeadPic Karanb
Jordi.Lucero wrote:

Hi, I am having the same issues you are describing exactly with a new CM4 and the openwrt images DFRobot provides. Did you have any luck with official images or a work around with the DFRobot images?

2022-08-22 09:10:50
1 Replies
2022-08-02 17:47:04

Openwrt release candidate 22.03.0-rc6 has been updated and boots on a recent CM4 in the router board.

userHeadPic TimMorley
Alex.Oughton wrote:

Yes it does, and I believe that's the image I took the working DAT and ELF files from. The hope is that DFRobot will release an update to the image which includes support for the NIC on the router board.

2022-08-02 23:01:40
1 Replies
2022-07-30 00:10:21

I just want to thank you for debugging this. Based on the timestamps of your other post, it looks like you posted a solution just hours before I was setting mine up. Prior to finding that thread, I was starting to think I'd received a faulty CM4.

To DFRobot:

In December 2021, someone from DFR reported in another thread that a firmware update would be released shortly & it seems that never happened. Can you please update your openwrt release to solve this problem and bring the linux kernel up to date?

userHeadPic GregGeiger