Troubleshooting

Pausing the DFRobot SEN0395 mmwave radar

userHead Robert.Stritchj 2023-03-11 06:31:37 552 Views2 Replies

Hi

As part of an IoT project, I'm using the DFRobot mmWave sensors to detect if any of our beds are occupied or not, but because the sensor is under the beds and very close to any persons sleeping in them, I didn't want to have the sensor radar transmitting 24/7. So I modified the DFRobot mmWave Radar ccp and h files in the Arduino library to expose the “sensorStart” and “sensorStop” commands via Stream comStop and comStart, so I can start and stop the sensor from an ESP8266 as part of the MQTT network.

When I stop the sensor with the “sensorStop” command it seems to freeze with the output locked into whatever condition it was in prior to the stop command, and the red led on the sensor stops flashing and glows a steady red. I'm using the readPresenceDetect command rather than reading the sensor output so that's not an issue for me, but what I'm unsure about is whether the radar transmissions have been stopped when the sensor is in this state because I have no means of detecting 24Ghz signals.

Does anyone have any information that might help resolve this question of whether the “sensorStop” command turns off the sensor's radar transmitter?

2023-03-18 05:04:32

Hi, the DFRobot help desk came back to say the radar transmitter cannot be turned off, it powers up as soon as voltage is applied and cannot be turned off without cutting the power. So the sensorStop command does not turn off the transmitter.

I'm currently in the process of powering up the sensor using a mosfet which is controlled by one of the outputs from the ESP8266.

userHeadPic Robert.Stritchj
2023-03-13 13:49:38

Could you please share the function you wrote? So we can help you assess whether the function does fulfil your need or not.

userHeadPic NeloKin