RoboticsGeneral

Sabretooth motor controller with 28PA51G DC motor and encoder

userHead LooseNut 2017-11-28 15:08:57 4950 Views5 Replies
Hi,

Can somebody please confirm whether the Sabretooth controller is compatible with the above motor and encoder board, bought as part of this kit:

https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1203.html

If they are compatible do I just need to hook up the Sabretooth output to the connector labelled motor power supply on the encoder board?

There are two solder tags sticking up from the back of the motor but the wiring diagram shown on the page linked below doesn't mention them. Anyone know their purpose? I'm assuming directly driving them without the encoder board but would like to be sure.

https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ample_Code

Cheers
2018-01-11 11:15:09 Hi,
There should be datasheet about how to control the motor you have, basically, the encoder has a power(VCC/GND) and two more pins about detect the speed, if possible , could you upload a picture about your motor, and it's interface.
userHeadPic robert.chen
2018-01-08 13:17:51 I am a bit new to the field, but been working to wire two 9V DC motors for a tank project. Both motors have encoders and I can't seem to find a good site to learn how to wire and code against these. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Your example above looks different than many I have seen, especially in that you are not using a motor shield at all? Are they not needed? Are there any examples/templates where I can use to see this coding in action? I think I only need a 5 minute conversation with a pro to get my feet under me, but there are many unexplained variation out there and I am a bit too green to understand the differences in application.
userHeadPic tcaron2333
2017-11-30 11:49:00 Hi, I am not very sure about the Sabretooth controller you are using. as two figures shown above, the soldered tags is connected to pin 1 and 2 which is Motor+ and Motor-, you can give a power to Motor+-, and control the speed by pin 5 and 6 Hall sensor A Vout and B Vout userHeadPic robert.chen
2017-11-30 04:31:29 Hi Robert, thanks for your reply.

I have two spare Sabretooth controllers so was going to use one. Are you saying I am better off not using them?

If so does that mean the encoder board also acts as the motor controller?

Your wiki (image below) shows motor power only being fed to the encoder board, and no mention of using the solder tags that are shown in your image. So I was trying to work out how it was driven.

I was thinking I'd feed the signal from the Sabretooth into the motor power supply connector and that'd control direction and speed.

Any better suggestions?
userHeadPic LooseNut
2017-11-29 18:09:50 Why do you want to use the Sabretooth motor driver since the motor driver is not needed in the wiki. Is the solder tags you mean like the attachment? they're the tags for power of the motor userHeadPic robert.chen