ArduinoGeneral

SIM808 Power Comsuption

userHead Account cancelled 2017-12-02 10:34:28 2192 Views0 Replies
I bought a SIM808 module to use it with a PIC microcontroller. Everything works great but now I'm trying to reduce the module power consumption. The module I have is this one https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/ ... U:_TEL0097. When the module is in power down mode it draws about 60mA!

The datasheet says it should draw 50uA at max in power down mode (although the buck regulator uses a couple of mA to work). I know I'm in power down mode because the network activity LED is off and I haven't powered it up using the PWRKEY. I removed all the LEDs from the board and the active GPS antenna that also draws current. I even removed the buck converter and powered it from a 4V power supply! But I can't go lower than 60mA. The same happens when I put the module in sleep mode, 60mA is the lowest current.

I measured all this with the board not being connected to any Arduino or other MCU so the current I'm measuring is just for the SIM808 module. Do I have a faulty module or I'm missing something that is drawing so much current?