Firebeetle ESP32 C6 solar and LiPo

userHead Peter.Robinson 2024-07-21 15:07:47 6 Views0 Replies

I've been experimenting with powering the Firebeetle ESP32 C6 from a small solar panel and a LiPo (18650) battery.  I've noticed a small characteristic which may be of interest.  It's not a fault, more of a gotcha.

When the solar panel's voltage is sufficient to charge the battery, I think the charge controller disconnects the battery from the ESP32, and all its power comes from the solar panel.  This is fine, except that if the ESP32 needs to use WiFi, it may need a higher current than the solar panel alone can deliver.  In my case, because my solar panel is small, this causes the ESP32 to detect a power brownout and reboot - even though there is plenty of power in the battery.  Shading the solar panel (so that its output voltage is too low to charge the battery) reconnects the battery and all is well (but eventually the battery will run down).

So far as I can see, the only way to overcome this without extra electronics is to ensure that the solar panel is capable of delivering enough current to drive the ESP32 when sending WiFi data.  I don't have a larger panel, so I'm not sure what will happen when it is partially shaded.