General

Untransformed current limits on the 25W DC power supply module (DFR0205)

userHead Clyde.Fare 2024-08-17 18:50:59 112 Views1 Replies

The 25W power supply states it has a current limit of 5A constant current but does this apply to the output of the ‘Original Voltage output’ or just to the transformed voltage outputs? 

Is there any difference between using the ‘original voltage output’ to power additional devices at the original voltage via the board, vs. ignoring this output but splitting the circuit providing the original voltage and passing half to the DC power supply and using the half to power the additional devices?

(I need 3A of transformed current but it's powered from a supply that is also using up to 15 amps at the original voltage and am wondering whether i should be using the original voltage output or not)

Many thanks

2024-09-05 21:56:27

That would be the “transformed output” rating as you call it. 

There is one very important difference between using the “original voltage output” and just splitting the circuit before the module. If you use the output on the board, you are now relying on the module's traces to carry the current from the input terminal to the output terminal. Sure the module itself isn't doing anything with that current, but the copper of the PCB still has to be able to handle it (the same way a wire has to be able to handle the current feeding from your source to the module etc).

I don't know the exact specs on the PCB trace and they do seem pretty beefy looking at them, but it was up to me I'd avoid pumping 15A from the input to the OVO if the only reason was to save doing a wire splice. 

userHeadPic Rob.Williams