ArduinoGeneral

GPS/GPRS/GSM Shield v3...a few questions ;)

userHead alnath 2013-04-30 23:31:54 4547 Views5 Replies
Hello,

- Don't you think there is something weird in the wiki :
[quote]GSM mode & GPS mode Selection

Except using UART selection jumper caps, you could switch GSM and GPS function with the IO pins also. Please remove the jumper caps connected for hardware UART selection first!

[b]Enable GSM [/b]mode & disable GPS mode:

digitalWrite(4,LOW);//Enable GPS mode
digitalWrite(3,HIGH);//[b]Disable GSM mode [/b]

[b]Enable GPS [/b]mode & disable GSM mode:

digitalWrite(3,LOW);//Enable GSM mode
digitalWrite(4,HIGH);//[b]Disable GPS[/b] mode
[/quote]

2- If I want to get the GPS coordinates and wait for SMS that would ask for them, is it OK to begin with the GPS initialisation like here :
[url=http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/GPS/GPRS/GSM_Module_V3.0_%28SKU:TEL0051%29#GSM_mode_.26_GPS_mode_Selection]http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/GPS/GPRS/GSM_Module_V3.0_%28SKU:TEL0051%29#GSM_mode_.26_GPS_mode_Selection[/url]

this part : [b]How to drive the GPS Mode via Arduino board[/b]
Then init the GSM with these lines :
[code] digitalWrite(5,HIGH);//Output GSM Timing
delay(1500);
digitalWrite(5,LOW);
digitalWrite(3,LOW);//Enable the GSM mode
digitalWrite(4,HIGH);//Disable the GPS mode
delay(2000);
Serial.begin(9600); //set the baud rate
delay(5000);//call ready
delay(5000);
delay(5000);
}[/code]

Then I put 4 LOW and 3 HIGH until I get the coordinates, switch 4 HIGH and 3 LOW and ask with a AT command if I got a SMS, (read it if available) , and back to the GPS by 4 LOW and 3 HIGH .

To summarize : once I've got GPS and GSM initialized (AT+CGPSRST = 1 , delay(1000) lats commands for GPS , and having received "call ready" from GSM) , is it OK to switch from one to the other just by inverting the state of 4 and 3 ?

Last (but not least) question : do you know a AT command for the GPS which sends the strength of the signal, and the number of locked satellites ?

Sorry for the length of tis post, but I really need the answers to go on ;)
Thanks a lot for any answer :)
jf

2013-05-13 21:22:04 Howdy,

[quote="ilhambop"]
1. Does the function of the pin have the same function from GPS/GPRS/GSM Modul v2.0? because in V3.0 there is jumper to using GPS/GSM mode
2. I've already made simple sketch about get latitude and longitude and send it to mobile phone but it was drive in V2.0,, and now i bought V3.0 to replace my V2.0 because it maybe broke up,,
3. Does the sketch work in V3.0
[/quote]

1) Switch S3: GPS power supply to be on/off(GPS power switch)  you can check the details on the wiki page for module V2.0
3) The sketch should work fine, the pins are the same

Hope that helps!
Jose
userHeadPic Jose
2013-05-11 13:19:42 Thank you before,im the begginer in arduino and now im using GPS/GPRS/GSM Modul V3.0,, i will ask you about this :
1. Does the function of the pin have the same function from GPS/GPRS/GSM Modul v2.0? because in V3.0 there is jumper to using GPS/GSM mode
2. I've already made simple sketch about get latitude and longitude and send it to mobile phone but it was drive in V2.0,, and now i bought V3.0 to replace my V2.0 because it maybe broke up,,
3. Does the sketch work in V3.0
4.Im very proud if you reply my massage because im in important condition about final test of Electronic engineering study,,Thank You
userHeadPic ilhambop
2013-05-08 19:52:06 my pleasure :)
I'm happy when I get help, and even more if I can help.
Yes, it's OK to invert 3 and 4 , but some AT commands, even "GPS related", only give an answer when in GSM mode (i.e. CGPSSTATUS? , CGPSPWR....) .
For my project, it's OK , I swith to GPS mode only when I need to get the position, and back to GSM mode as soon as the GPGGA (or whichever sentence I need) sentence is received.
userHeadPic alnath
2013-05-07 13:19:32 Hi alnath,

Ya,you are right, there are some mistakes in the wiki :-\. Thank you for  reminding. I have update the wiki. I think it is OK to switch from one to the other just by inverting the state of 4 and 3 ;)

You are so nice ,Thank you very much for helping others, include me~~ ;)

BEST
userHeadPic Phoebe
2013-04-30 23:44:18 Hi again  :)

For the last question, the answer is here [url=http://www.simcom.us/act_admin/supportfile/SIM908_AT%20Command%20Manual_V1.01.pdf]http://www.simcom.us/act_admin/supportfile/SIM908_AT%20Command%20Manual_V1.01.pdf[/url] p.224  :)

maybe it could help other members  :)

still need answers for the previous questions  ;)
userHeadPic alnath