ArduinoGeneral

IO Expansion Shield V7 SERVO POWER vs PWR IN

userHead febrification 2020-06-24 07:11:53 1227 Views2 Replies
Hi there,

I want to clarify about the IO Expansion Shield V7

Do tell me if the following are true/ false:
1. PWR IN is used to power the board and the pins. It has voltage regulator and you can decide if the pins (digital and analog) will output 5V vs 3.3V.
2. SERVO PWR is used to provide extra power to digital (not analog) pins, up to 12 V. When using SERVO PWR, the power input will not be regulated, meaning if we input 12V, all the digital pins will be output-ing 12V. We must choose between using the board to power ALL 5V or ALL 12V.

I want to power 12V motors and the board together with only one 12V power supply. Is it possible to be done using the Expansion Shield?

From wiki:
"External Input Power Supply(6V to 12V) An external input power supply interface is provided, and the figure above shows that there are two interfaces to choose from, but the input voltage should be controlled within 6V to 12V.
Servo Input Power Supply(5V to 12V) The digital pins can be connected to an external power supply within 5V to 12V.

Two Available Situations
1.There are device connected to digital pins, such as in some robot platforms that use multiple servos, resulting in a situation where the current is too low to work properly. In this case, the current can be replenished by a 5V external power supply.
2.When the digital pin is connected to a device that requires a larger power supply, it can be connected directly to a 5 to 12V extenal power supply in this interface."

Regards,
Arvin