HuskyLens External Power and ESP-32 I2C COM

userHead Kio 2022-05-15 08:45:44 727 Views3 Replies

Hello All,

Have sent this and other issues to support but have had varying degree of response in the past.

Looking for a detailed and safe instruction on how to power the Huskylens with an external power supply.

I have been testing with a usb on the husky for power... but have intermittent communication issues as I suspect that no usb hub or charger seems to be able to provide a steady current for the device in facial recognition mode.

Note: I am connecting to a ESP-32 Wrover ESP-32 Dev-Kit-V1 Module via I2C protocol. Programming via Arduino IDE

I have tried several configurations.

One unit works flawlessly using the I2C protocol with this configuration:
HuskyLens "UART RX/TX" and Ground connected to ESP-32 I2C pins and Ground
Power is being supplied by the USB cable. 
Can send and receive data with HuskyLens and am able to send this data over websockets to a custom application I have designed.

I have another station that I have made a custom PCB board for to eliminate prototype wires and breadboard issues.
Am powering the Huskylens, ESP-32 and other peripherals with a 5v 12amp power supply. 
Everything else - Relays, Servos, Linear Actuators, Hall Sensors, 5v-3v Level Shifters, Switches, Leds work and function 100%
I cannot get the huskylens to connect in any way while powered with external power. (USB cable is disconnected)

Trimmed the dupont connectors to make better connection between the Huskylens and the PCB connectors, suspecting a poor connection. This did not help. (I tried two different HuskyLens units - no variant on result.)

Attempted to run the HuskyLens rx and tx through a 5v-3v Level shifter - That did not help (the signal levels read 3.7v from the Husky rx/tx wires) so I reverted to a direct connection.

I am pulling my hair out trying to make this work.

I have searched all forums and github resources intensively and studied all code for the Arduino library trying to determine the best method.

I am using the I2C protocol because I can get it to work in certain configurations with the ESP-32 Dev-Kit-V1.

I am a bit confused about the various references online about the exclusive use of Software Serial in the HuskyLens Arduino Library... Yet... I did not see reference to that in the current source code files. Can the Huskylens now use Hardware Serial? The ESP-32 has more than one Hardware Serial.

Hopefully somebody has experienced similar issues…

Thank you for any troubleshooting suggestion you can provide.
Kiotenhariyo

2022-05-18 20:37:28

OK Anyone with similar issues.

ESP-32 I2c signal level of 3.3volts is a must when connected to external power.ESP32 pins are somewhat tolerant to the Husky signal output when powered by USB . Always power up Husky before ESP32. (but don't do this unless you have a lot of ESP32 devices to trash)

1) Always use a logic level converter 5v-3.3v (also reduces risk of electrostatic discharge and voltage spikes to the sensitive ESP32 pins.

2) Never try to make the UART/I2C wire longer than the wire supplied by DFRobot. The shorter the signal wire - the better! 

userHeadPic Kio
2022-05-16 09:38:47

OK Thanks for taking the time.

Here are some pics and images. First effort PCB design with Kicad trying to clean up the proto project. 

This one cannot get to work. (But get same results connecting ESP32 and Huskylens directly to 5v Power Supply)

Noob schematic

Noob PCB board

THIS MESS ACTUALLY WAS WORKING UNTIL I TESTED THE THIS HUSKYLENS TO EXTERNAL 5v NOW NEITHER HUSKYLENS WORK :-?

5V POWER SUPPLY BEING USED 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NR69NCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

(Previously tried a 12v with a decent buck converter stepped down to 5+v, that was another issue as the Huskylens got dangerously hot for some reason)

userHeadPic Kio
2022-05-16 00:20:08

The normal working voltage is 3.3~5V, but for stable operation, it is recommended that the power supply voltage should be in 3.6V~5V, and the power supply can output more than 300mA stably.

HuskyLens can be powered by a USB port and PH2.0 4pin port. If both ports are powered, the power supply of the USB port will be used first.

BTW, could you share the physical wiring images of your project?

userHeadPic Youyou