TroubleshootingArduino

Using Beetle (Leonardo)

userHead Arthur.Butler 2023-02-26 05:02:31 220 Views2 Replies

Hi,

Should I select Leonardo as the board type when using a DFRobot Beetle as the product summary says, or install the USB driver and df-avr as the Wiki entry on the product summary page (https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/Beetle_SKU:DFR0282) and the “New Version Burning Tutorials” which link to https://wiki.dfrobot.com/DFRobot_USB_Products_Installtion_Tutorial?

Does the answer depend on whether I'm using Arduino 1.8.x or Arduino IDE 2.0.x?

I've tried both.

With 2.0.x and calling the device Leonardo, I can program the Beetle, but the sketch doesn't run after the device is power cycled. I couldn't get the DFRobot tools to download using the json file, but installed them manually. The bootloader and upload both give errors about avrdude not being found, in what looks like a 1.8.x path.

I'd really like to solve that problem of the sketch not running after powerup. I had to program using usbasp and remove the bootloader due to the space me sketch takes up.

With 1.8.x I again can't get the DFRobot tools to install using the json file, but haven't been able to install them manually either.

Any help would be much appreciated, I've spend ages on this already.

Best Wishes,

A

2023-02-28 01:47:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Beetle, my post says that multiple times. 

I've got it working by using IDE 2.0.x and selecting a standard Leonardo config. I'd forgotten I was building the code non-optimised for debugging, and when built optimised it fitted in the memory, so I could go back to using the bootloader, and the program runs fine after a power-cycle.

I can't get the DFrobot tools to install.

BW,A

userHeadPic Arthur.Butler
2023-02-27 09:48:22

Hi

Could you please share us which specific development board you are using? There are quite a lot of Leonardo boards we provide.

Arduino IDE 1.8.x is recommended as most of our board driver is based on this version of IDE.

I can find and download the DFRobot tools via board manager in IDE 1.8.19. Could you please share a picture of how i can't install the definition of board.

Hope it can help.

userHeadPic NeloKin