TroubleshootingArduino

Solar Power Manager 2.0 (12v Lead Acid) - suddenly stopped, seems to short solar input

userHead JohnAGilberts 2023-03-14 08:14:52 220 Views3 Replies

Hi all - long time reader, first time poster.

I have had a 12v solar power manager (lead acid) 2.0 (https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1795.html) running out in the field for some months now powering a RPi-zero. 

Everything was working beautifully. 

I was even logging current and voltage.  Voltage never rose above 13.5 (maybe 13.6 very briefly), and charging current rarely exceeded 200ma. My understanding is that it's well within spec.

After about 4 months the RPi went offline. 

I measured the solar input and it was being pulled down to 0.7v when connected to the solar power board. Open circuit it was producing 19v (sunny day).

The lead acid battery seems fine, sitting at 12.9v.

I took the board home and plugged it into my lab supply. It seems to immediately short the input which pulls the voltage down to 0.7 and the lab supply goes into current limiting mode.

Where to begin? I'd be happy to buy another board but this is in a really remote location and I'm concerned it may happen again - it's for remote monitoring on a farm which is a few hours drive so I'd really like to get to the bottom of it.

Would it be repairable? I'm no expert on electronics, hence the post, but if it was a component I'd be able to swap it over.

There are no physical signs of damage and it was well and truly waterproof. It was around 25deg-C the day it stopped. Some weeks earlier the day temp peaked at 41deg-C and that seemed to be no issue.

In this chart: red is current (negative = charging), blue is voltage. The last reading before the RPi went offline was 13.5v & 69ma charging.

Thanks in advance.

2024-02-06 18:47:55

Did you ever solve this? I just bought the same card and came in a half open box, the plastic wrapping broken. 

When testing the solar panel output the voltage is 15V+, but the moment I screw the input into the terminals, and measure on the back of the terminals, the voltage is fixated at 0.6v. I've tried different cables, solar panels etc. but to no avail. 

I live far away from the US so the RMA is a long process, let alone getting a new one. Any tips you can share?

userHeadPic Bob.Bob6840
2023-03-17 05:53:27

Agree - it's just annoying not knowing, I want to roll about 12 of these set ups out (this was a prototype) and I want to know they're bullet proof…

I've ordered a new one for now…

userHeadPic JohnAGilberts
2023-03-16 11:10:58

Very likely, you may need to replace it.    

userHeadPic R2D2C3PO