Solar Power Manager 5V V1.1 No 5V Output

userHead chad_2005 2023-05-25 09:02:13 891 Views4 Replies

I was using my Solar power manager for days then all of a sudden i no longer have 5V… after reviewing the circut diagram and doing testing it seems like the SY6820 is no longer working as it has 5.8V going in and 0.110V out also i noticed the D2 (SS34) is warm as well and outputting more voltage then i would expect 5.8V with 4V going in. I guess my question is the board NFG after only a few days of use… Did i get a lemon… I do not believe i hit any short circut protection as i plugged in everything on my old charging board and it is all working fine…. Any tips or pointers i could try? Or what components should i try and find to replace? I ordered another board, hoping this was a fluke…. Also I have pushed the boot button so many times to reset the protection, so i do not believe is the problem….. 

Load is not high running a ESP32 with two small 9g servos to track the sun and charge the battery. Stall current is below 1A for the servos and i have current and voltage monitoring with two INA226 to track current leaving battery and solar panel along with voltages….

2023-05-26 10:32:57

It seems like you have done some thorough testing. If the heat is still present when there is no load connected, it's possible that there is an issue with the Solar Power Manager board itself. In this case, it might be best to contact the DFRobot for further support or a replacement if the board is still under warranty.

However, before doing that, you can try the following steps to further isolate the issue:

1. Double-check the connections between the solar panel, battery, and the Solar Power Manager. Make sure there are no loose or damaged wires that could cause a short circuit.

2. Inspect the board closely for any visible signs of damage, such as burnt or damaged components, or any solder bridges that could cause a short circuit.

If the issue persists even after performing these steps, it's likely that the Solar Power Manager board is faulty and needs to be replaced. Please disconnect all loads and power sources connected to the Solar Power Manager, including solar panels, batteries, and load devices ( Such as ESP32 and servo). This ensures that there is no further damage.

userHeadPic jenna
chad_2005 wrote:

Thanks, I have dont all you have sugested and seems like I have a defective board. I will try to contact DFRobot and see if they are willing to do anything.

2023-05-28 23:18:04
1 Replies
2023-05-25 13:51:53

The MT3608 circuit may experience overheating and damage due to the following reasons:

1. Excessive input voltage: Please ensure that the output voltage of the solar panel falls within the range of 4.5V to 6V.

2. Short circuit: If a short circuit occurs at the output end, the chip will be subjected to a large current, leading to overheating and damage. Please inspect the connected wiring for any signs of a short circuit.

userHeadPic jenna
chad_2005 wrote:

thanks for the response, the solar panel is a 5V panel and maintains about 4.5V while under load and goes to 5V when no load due to the charging circuit turning off when the battery is above 4.2V.

when i completed my testing and noticed that it is hot the only thing connected was the battery so thats why im confused, it should have no load…. Also the charging side of the board still works and light does light up indicatting it is charging. i suspect the heat is coming from a short or something in the board from the failed component.

2023-05-25 17:16:29
1 Replies