Unihiker: Intermittent slow Wifi every 1 minute

userHead Hobbes 2024-05-29 20:56:40 113 Views3 Replies

I've noticed that every 1 minute (give or take a few seconds), WiFi on the Unihiker slows down with a number of 3-6 second pings. It seems to be very regular, so I'm thinking it's some kind of process affecting things.

I've tried it on two different WiFi networks, with the same results.

See attached pic.

Does anyone else have similar symptoms, or is it perhaps interference at my location?

Thanks.

Output from “prettyping”:

2024-05-31 16:46:46

I have tried using prettyping to access different websites under different wifi and wired network conditions. The results vary, so you could try switching your wifi or using a USB to Ethernet adapter to test and rule out network environment issues.

userHeadPic LL
Hobbes wrote:

Thanks. I've tried two different wifi networks, with the same results. Low-level flooding the Unihacker with pings fixes it, bizarrely. All my other wifi devices don't have this issue.

I tried a USB ethernet adaptor and the connection is rock solid.

Unfortunately, it seems the wifi driver for the Unihacker is compiled into the kernel so I can't unload it and recompile an alternative. Perhaps there's a way, but this is beyond my knowledge.

2024-06-01 22:03:50
1 Replies
2024-05-30 08:09:35

So, the issue goes away if wifi traffic to/from the device is higher, ie fast pings (ping -i 0.1 -s 128 <IP>), or a lot of SSH traffic (htop -d 10).

I guess it's some kind of power save thing or something similar. Pinging the device with large packets is annoying, but it's a workaround.

userHeadPic Hobbes