Malfunctioning DFR0523 Peristaltic pump

userHead Farm Urban 2024-08-29 19:48:22 52 Views1 Replies

I've a DFR0523 peristaltic pump connected to a Raspberry Pi 5 using the DFR0566 Expansion HAT and driven from one of the PMW channels on the DFR0566.

The pump suddenly stopped working and now when I try and drive it, it moves very slightly and makes a high pitched whining noise, but the spindle doesn't turn.

I've a second DFR0523, and when I switch the broken one with the second one (so plugging it into the same channel, with the same cable, and running the same code), it works fine and the spindle rotates.

The first DFR0523 is therefore malfunctioning in some way. The spindle turns fine, so it doesn't appear to be a mechanical fault.

I'd love to be able to repair it if I can as I'd hate to see a nice motor go to waste. Can anyone suggest any ways I could work out what's wrong and repair it? Are there any particular common modes of failure of these types of motor?

2024-09-09 10:04:46

If you are using this IO expansion HAT, we have two things you need to be aware of:
1. If the VP port is not connected to a power supply, the 5V power is taken directly from the 5V in the 40PIN pin of the Raspberry Pi. The current output of Raspberry Pi 5V pin can only be 1.5A, which can't fully satisfy the 1.8A of this pump, so we suggest you to connect the 6V power supply externally.
2. Because the pump's control is similar to a servo, we recommend you to connect it to the analogue interface and use the servo example code in the HAT wiki to test it.

Thumbnail

(This issue has been resolved on the Disqus page.)

userHeadPic Yeez_B